Sunday, February 10, 2008

Poppyseed Pecan Salad

I got this fun salad recipe from my mother-in-law.  I wasn't sure what to call this salad and as I am writing this the heater in my townhouse is out (and we are freezing!).  My husband suggested I call it "broken heater salad,"  but because that has absolutely nothing to do with what is in the salad, we decided to come up with something else.  After much deliberation, here is the recipe for Poppyseed Pecan Salad:

2 bags romaine lettuce
1 med avocado
1 can diced pears
1 small pkg crumbled feta cheese
4 oz candied pecans

To candy pecans:
Sprinkle a little less than 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan. Cover with 4 oz chopped pecans.  Put on medium high heat and heat (do not stir) until sugar starts to melt. Once sugar starts to melt, toss pecans with spatula until sugar is completely melted and pecans are coated.  Turn onto wax paper to cool. 
  
Mix all ingredients and serve with poppyseed dressing.

Poppyseed dressing:

Mix all ingredients in blender.

3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp dry ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp poppyseeds
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce

Pour dressing over salad just before serving.  Enjoy!

Shauni Frost

No comments: